Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Transform a Neighborhood in the Final Showdown to Win $10K

At 1:02 AM last Friday morning, I found out that we made it to the finals in the idea contest to win $10K towards transforming neighborhoods. It was exciting -so much so that I found it hard to sleep that night. After going to sleep around 3AM, I woke up wide awake at 6:30AM -kind of like a kid at Christmas. My head was full of ideas around what needed to happen next to get the word out so we could get enough votes to win the finals.

So, what happened next? I had a full day of meetings on Friday so there was not a lot of time to do much but I did send out a couple of emails. Saturday morning I was completely overwhelmed with literally hundreds of ideas around how to get the word out. I had so many ideas that I could hardly think straight and was also thinking about what a short amount of time I had to implement these ideas. Fortunately, I stopped and stuck to my morning routine realizing that I needed to slow down, sit down, and have my prayer and journaling time. It was during that time that the answer came. As I mentioned in my last post, I am reading the book, The Prayer of Jabez. On Saturday morning, I was relieved in reading a part that talked about God knowing our gifts, hindrances and condition every moment. Well, what a relief and wonderful reminder because I was feeling pretty overwhelmed. The other thing that spoke to me in a big way that morning was where the author talked about leaning on God to guide our thoughts, words and actions and trusting that He can accomplish what we cannot. This message was reaffirmed for me again on Sunday morning through a sermon on faith.

Just like anyone, there are so many many times that I don't have all the answers and then there are times when I have so many answers or ideas that I don't know what to do with them all. I'm sure you can relate. One thing I am thankful to have is a heaping dose of faith and a place to turn for peace.

Now, with that said, I know God can move mountains but He expects us to pick up a shovel!

Our neighborhoods are in desperate need of revitalization and the people living in challenged areas are suffering greatly. It breaks my heart to hear the story of little girl who was grabbed off of the sidewalk while she was walking to school and dragged into a vacant house and raped. This is just one story of many that are heartbreaking. Driving through a neighborhood that looks like a ghost town because it has been taken over by crime seems as if that should be impossible in this day and time; but, unfortunately, it's not only possible -it's prevalent. Children are dying before the make it to adulthood because in their minds, their only hope for survival was to deal drugs.

All professionals in the real estate arena need to be looking for ways to make positive changes (beyond just our bank accounts). It's time to step up and make a difference. We were given skills and knowledge - let's use it to make a difference.

Your simple vote for Transform a Neighborhood in the contest can be the beginning of making a difference. These funds will allow us to jump start transforming neighborhoods and lives. This has to be the easiest way ever to give back -it doesn't require any money and only takes a minute of your time. Yes, it does require a quick registration, but it's easy and they won't send you a bunch of junk email. So, please, vote today and make a difference -time is running out!

Please, support a great cause & help us W.I.N. $10K to Transform Neighborhoods- by voting for us in the Ideablob contest - VOTE for Transform a Neighborhood at http://www.ideablob.com/ideas/2927-Transform-a-Neighborhood-TAN-.

P.S. - If you have already voted, you now need to log in and vote again since we made it to the finals. The votes were all reset to 0 at the finals.

P.S.S. - We are currently getting clobbered and need a whole army to pick up their shovels and vote!

Keeping the Faith!

No comments: